Growing up, my all-time favorite movie was The Wizard of Oz. So, when thinking about a creative way to spruce up my front porch for Halloween this year, my first thought was to do a take on that movie with a “Ding Dong the Witch is Dead” theme. With DIY witch legs that look like they were just landed on by our house and a cute sign to greet trick-or-treaters, this is one of my favorite DIY Halloween decor ideas of all time! Continue reading for all the details, including the how-to for making a set of fun witch legs of your own!
The first (and most important!) element of my wicked witch Halloween porch is–without a doubt–the fun wicked witch legs I made for the display. They are so darn cute, and they were seriously easy to whip up!
How to Make DIY Witch Legs
- Black and white striped tights
- Fiber fill
- Wire hanger
- Wire cutters
- Rocks, stones or marbles
- Hot glue
- Red glittered shoes (I found mine at the thrift store, but you could use Mod Podge and glitter to create your own using an old pair of shoes)
- Cut the legs off of the tights. Stuff each leg with fiber fill, leaving about 3 inches unfilled at the top of each.
- Straighten out the wire hanger, and cut it into two sections using the wire snips. Work a wire piece all the way down into the toe of each leg, making sure the wire doesn’t protrude to the outside of the tights.
- Place 5-6 stones or marbles into the top opening of each leg, and use hot glue to seal the ends shut.
- Gently bend the wire piece in each leg into a foot-like curve and slip each into one of the shoes.
- Display to look like your house just plopped down on the unfortunate witch below!
All that was left from a DIY aspect after my legs were ready to go was to make a sign for the display. I used my Cricut to cut lettering to use as a stencil on a pre-cut 12″x4′ board from Home Depot with my “Ding Dong the Witch is Dead” message. Signs like these are so easy and inexpensive, and they make a huge impact!
To round off the display, I added a broom (of course!) some pumpkins, and a pretty potted mum. I am so excited for trick-or-treaters to see this on Halloween night!
Recommended Supplies for Making DIY Witch Leg Halloween Decorations (affiliate links)
Having grown up in a home brimming with sewing notions and paintbrushes, Amy has a deep love for all things creative. On any given day, you’ll find her knee-deep in her latest creative endeavor, with projects ranging from sewing and crafts to home decor and kid-friendly ideas. Amy believes that everyone, regardless of skill level or experience, possesses the ability to create something beautiful, and Positively Splendid was born of her passion for helping others harness their innate creative potential.
If You Liked This, You Might Also Be Interested In:
Powered by WPeMatico